Sulgrave Manor is the Ancesteral home of George Washington and the the US puts money into keeping it preserved, so on Presidents day every year US citizens can visit for free. So finally this year we decided to check it out.

This picture shows how they build thier roofs, they use stone shingles overlapping each other. They still make thier roofs this way and alot of times you see moss growing on the roof and think it must be old and in bad condition but it's not. Weird huh?


They have a room with some toys in it for the kids while you wait for the tour. Some like these tree blocks are the kind that a child in the 1600's would have played with. Alan really liked them and made a drum.

Ashley is really good at making friends instantly, she is definetly my social butterfly.

Alan, Ash and Daniel by the bust of George Washington in the front of the manor.

Thomas and I hanging out and waiting for the tour, he is such a great baby. He is pretty content to sit and watch everything. Too bad he won't be able to remember all the history he's soaking up.

This is the front of the house where the tour starts.

Ashley got to dress up for the tour, I tried to get Alan and Daniel to dress up also but all I managed was to put a hat on them. What can I say thier boys and not quite as eager to dress up as Ashley.

I love thier fireplaces, they are pretty much the focal point of the main rooms because they are so huge.

This house is really long sideways but not long front to back, the main door was just behind Alan when he took the picture.

Fancy dresses they would have worn.

This bed looks cool. The tour guide told us that people back then had beds like this that had a top because the ceiling was so high and birds often got in and stayed in the rafters, which meant that if a bird had to go in the middle the night it wouldn't end up on you. The draperies around the bed just helped to keep out the cold.

This is the kitchen sink which had a pump to bring in the water. Alan and Ashley both were picked to demonstrate how the water came out. This was Alan pumping, it pretty much took all his weight to pull it down.
1 comment:
I am so jealous of you! That looks like so much fun! I am glad that you are posting this on your blog! Your kids are so lucky to be able to do fun things like this.
Post a Comment